RE: Sign Structures

I have heard references to this sign failure for years, but I have never been able to find any written documentation of it. Does anyone know if there was a report issued on the investigation, or coverage in any of the engineering journals?

It's always easier and much more painless to learn from other's mistakes.

Dmitri Wright

From: Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Sign Structures

--_f5b48388-e047-4954-b860-017799d95e84_

The sign in question does not warrent a dynamic analysis, but there are sig=
ns along the strip in Las Vegas that sometimes are evaluated in wind tunnel=
s with modifications at the base to determine a dynamic response. =20
=20
The Hilton sign in Las Vegas is 279' tall with a terrible plan and elevatio=
n aspect ratio.  The sign it replaced blew down in a wind storm.  Regards,H=
arold Sprague