RE: Sign Structures

Dmitri,
I agree that learning from failures is the traditional and definitive "lessons learned" for structural engineers.  Unfortunately, any significant failure will result in law suits.  Law suits make engineers circle the wagons and most of us are left on the outside wondering what happened.

The few things that I know is that the top 100 feet of the original sign collapsed in July of 1994 and the wind velocities were less than the design load.  A new one was constructed in 1997.

There was litigation that lasted until 2004.  There is an interesting paper that includes a synopsis at:
http://www.folklaw.com/Ethics.htm
The write up source was:
Finley A. Charney, G. Brent Norris, and James Robert Harris, "On the Collapse of the Las Vegas Hilton's Spectacular Sign", Proceedings of the Structural Engineers World Congress, (San Francisco, CA 1998).

Finley Charney is a professor at Virginia Tech and Jim Harris has his own business in Denver.

Regards,
Harold Sprague