From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 10:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Concrete exposed to seawater

This is the most definitive spec.
http://www.wbdg.org/ccb/DOD/UFGS/UFGS%2003%2031%2029.pdf

Regards,
Harold Sprague

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 12:17:40 -0700
From: William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

I did find that the AASHTO Bridge Specifications do include specific requirements for "direct exposure to salt water" (4-in) and for "coastal" exposures (3-in).  (Could be reduced 0.5-in for low w/cm ratio.)  But let me be more specific regarding my questions:

If a performance specification for a non-bridge, coastal structure for a design-build project states that the design shall be in accordance with ACI codes and standards and with the recommendations of ACI 201.2R and ACI 222R, what are the minimum requirements for concrete cover for seawater and salt air exposure?  I did find that ACI 201.2R, Section 4.4.3, recommends a minimum of 3-inches of cover for "severe marine exposure"; but Section 2.4.3 references ACI 357R (for offshore concrete structures), which recommends 2.5-in for splash zones.  There is less discussion of exposure to "salt laden air" for structures near the coast in ACI 201.2R and ACI 222R, but ACI 357R does recommend 2-in cover for the "atmospheric zone not subject to salt spray".  I am a bit surprised that there is not more explicit direction in ACI and PCA documents on this subject, as such structures are not uncommon.

Bill Sherman
CH2M HILL / DEN
720-286-2792