From: Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 3:05 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Las Vegas Sign Structure

In a message dated 3/4/2008 6:54:57 AM Pacific Standard Time, William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com writes:
I attended a talk by Finley Charney about this sign back in 1998.  My notes indicate that a Principal Engineer sealed the drawings but two young engineers with Masters Degrees and with relatively little experience performed the detailed design.  A Peer Review had also been done - but the forensic review team found numerous errors in the design and detailing.

Another suggested contributor was the fact that the sign was designed for Exposure Class B (questionable for some quadrants) and a one-third increase was taken for wind.  These served to reduce the safety margin against wind, estimated around 60 mph that day.

Bill

Form what I remember the top part fell off and removed another 10-20' and that it was redesign at that height and that is what we see today or did thaey add some more height back ??

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA