3x studs in (E) stud wall (Remodel)

We are working on a remodel where the existing 2 story home was built sometime in the early 1920's. All the walls, including exterior are 2x flat studs. The architect is calling for (N) windows in the (E) exterior walls and now we need to provide new shearwalls. The problem is that we would like to keep the wall thickness as minimal as possible. We are thinking of using 3x studs next to the (E) 2x flat studs and turning the (E) walls into shearwalls.

Does anyone have any idea if 3x studs are allowed to be used in shearwalls of an existing structure?

I know that the code does not allow 3x studs for exterior bearing walls, but in this case the (E) stud walls are already there. we are just using the 3x's for shear purposes.

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Erik Gibbs