Re: Using Wood-Framed Conventional Construction as a Lateral Shear Resisting ...

In a message dated 3/6/2008 9:58:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, terry(--nospam--at)wrfed.com writes:
Hi everyone;
    I have an question which seems to keep coming up year after year.
    We often have clients who's residential project has been plan
checked by a local building department and one wall line does not comply
with the lateral provisions of 2007 CBC (2006 IBC) Section 2308 for wall
bracing.  Consequently, we do a lateral analysis for this one wall line.  I
assume this is standard operating procedure so, with this as an
introduction, let me get to my question.
    The CBC/IBC Section 2308.2.3.3 says an engineered analysis is
required when the Snow Load exceeds 50 psf.  Most jurisdictions allow a 75%
reduction in Snow Load for Seismic design (yes-it varies by jurisdiction).
So, if I run lateral calculations to show that Wind Load governs over
Seismic Loads for these heavy snow load areas, can I use the Conventional
Construction provisions as my lateral shear resisting design/detailing
element OR do I need to run full-blown lateral calculations for the building
as a whole?
    I am finding more and more that engineering offices are running full
blown lateral calculations without further discussion.  What does your
office do?

Terry Weatherby
Weatherby-Reynolds-Fritson
Jackson
How are you Terry

Hope the wife and kids are doing well..are the kids away at school these days.

Our office will only evaluate a complete building. Our insurance will not allow partial involvement. The gray area would be attached patio's.

Joe Venuti
Johnson and Nielsen
Palm Springs,  CA

Joe Venuti