RE: Using Wood-Framed Conventional Construction as a Lateral Shear Resisting Method for Design

Terry,

Unless the building official waives the restriction, loads that are
noted within the conventional construction section of the code are
intended as triggers -- in other words, if your ground snow load
requirement for that area exceeds 50 psf, then you are (technically) not
allowed to use the conventional construction provisions.  You must
complete the design according to Chapter 16, etc.  Some of these
triggers are only applicable to specific seismic regions -- for example,
the restriction of irregular features only applies to SDC D & E
(2308.2.7).  The triggers are not usually a matter of whether wind or
seismic "governs", but rather a matter of WHERE you are (SDC C versus
D).

HTH,

Dave K. Adams, S.E., P.Eng.
LANE ENGINEERS, INC.
979 N. Blackstone Street
P.O. Box 1059
Tulare, CA  93275
Direct Line:  (559) 688-5263
Direct FAX:  (559) 688-8388
E-Mail: davea(--nospam--at)laneengineers.com
Weblog: www.training4engineers.blogspot.com