Calif. Seismic Retrofit Bill SB 1508

To all California engineers,

Relating to residential seismic retrofits, a bill was just introduced by
Senator Corbett that would mandate the following:
    1.  The state establishes standards for cripple-wall retrofits (which
would go beyond the very basic details found in IEBC Appendix A3) and
provides a commentary that explains those standards
    2.  The above standards are adopted into the CA Building Code by 2011
    3.  The Contractor's State License Board (CSLB) adopts a training
program for retrofit contactors
    4.  The CSLB establishes a specialty license for seismic retrofit
contractors
    5.  No earthquakes may occur before the above goes into effect (okay,
kidding on this last one...)

This is a bill that deserves our support--please urge your legislators to
support it!

Find more info at:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_1501-1550/sb_1508_bill_20080221_introduced.pdf

Thor Matteson, SE