Re: Enforcement Question

In a message dated 3/10/2008 3:22:06 PM Pacific Standard Time, ASLCSE(--nospam--at)aol.com writes:
I bet you'd get some atention if you sent the building official a
written memorandum of the situation and conspicuously copied your
lawyer and the state department that looks after such things. Nothing
turns heads like a visible audit trail.
I am not sure which City you are talking about.
If it is in Pasadena, and your are friends with Building Official (Sarkis Nazerian) or City Inspector Scott Klar...you can get almost anything "inpsected" and "approved", even if it is built without a permit.. They even lie for you.
Then again, what can you expect from a Bulding Department like Pasadena, which has only one licensed Civil Engineer (in the Grading department). Not a single person (Civil or Structural) in Plan Check, Code Enforcement, etc. is licensed, not even the Building Official.

Antonio S. Luisoni
Consulting Structural Engineer

Tony now we are talking horror stories even if true.

While at the counter a a local city I pick up and looked thru another engineers calculations... I told the Building Official/Inspector that the calculations were not correctly performed and that moment connections are not achievable in 4x12 lumber frames...and that the city should send the plans & calculations out to be reviewed. He took the calculations back and pointed to the engineering stamp and said it was the cities problem; it has the stamp. So I asked If he the Building Official/Inspector ever took his car to that repair garage and he replied not anymore. And life goes on....

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA