ASCE 7-05 Cantilevered Column System vs. Inverted Pendulum-Type Structures

What’s the difference?

My (current) situation is a two story SFR. One edge of the second floor is supported by a beam supported by three steel columns. This allows room for a car port. Yes, it sounds like the typical tuck-under scenario.

I’m not sure I can take the loads back to the next SW (only 10’-4” away) due to the second floor condition. I would rather take the tributary load out in the three steel columns and design them accordingly. However, I’m in Seismic Category D and it appears Cantilevered Columns is NP. There are no seismic coefficients for Inverted Pendulums in Table 12.2-1 but there are in Table 15.4-2. However 15.4-2 refers to “nonbuilding structures not similar to buildings”.

Can someone clear this up for me?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS