RE: Concrete Digestion Tanks

Harold,

Thank you for the resources.  They look like they will be very helpful.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
I am surprised that the process engineers would want a single large tank for a digester.  You did not say if it was rectangular or round.  I would presume that it will have a highly pitched floor and I would presume the tank to be round.

The PCA has several good design guides for both round and rectangular tanks.  You need a copy of the ACI 350 as well, and ACI 350.3 for seismic induced fluid forces.

A lot of WWTP's are going to the egg shaped digesters.  These are performance specified and specialty firms either construct them from steel or from PT concrete.

Attached is a link to a lot of resources.
http://www.cement.org/bookstore/results_quicksearch.asp

The AWWA is another good source of information for tanks:
http://www.awwa.org/Bookstore/searchresults.cfm?q=tank

Tanks are specialty designs.  I would not categorize myself as an expert, but I know who the experts are depending on the type of tank that you are considering.

One real tank expert that comes to mind is:
Stephen W. Meier, PE, SE
Vice President
Tank Industry Consultants
7740 West New York Street
Indianapolis, IN 46214
Voice: 317-271-3100 Fax: 317-271-3300
Mobile: 630-728-5986
email: meier(--nospam--at)tankindustry.com
web page:
www.tankindustry.com

Tank Industry Consultants
684 West Boughton, Suite 101
Bolingbrook, Illinois 60440
Voice: 630-226-0745 Fax: 630-226-0802

All Steve does is tanks.  And he does them well.

Regards,
Harold Sprague