Re: Conc. Bond to plain steel

Well, I don't know from ring gears on flywheels, but I do know that they used to "set fire to" the steel tires of steam locomotives in the Old Days to expand them to shrink-fit back onto the wheels.

Hoop rebar might prevent cracking, but it won't prevent shrinkage.  Without it a concrete "ring" trying to shrink around a nonshrinking steel tube will certainly crack.

I wouldn't depend on bond/friction.  Depending on the wall thickness of the tube, could you bash a few dents into it (not too close to the top) to provide keying, sort of like in a flywheel?

Ralph