Re: Wood LEED

Actually, I was also curious about this. I called a few lumber supply stores here in Orange county and they didn't know anything about it. I think it is a great thing that the lumber be sustainably grown, but if the FSC does not make suppliers aware then contractors can't use it.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Yi Yang <YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com> wrote:
I'm working on a project in California that will get a LEED
certification.  We specified on the framing plan with notes for "FSC
Certified lumber", for framing and plywood.  I talked to the contractor,
and they said FSC certified lumber products are pretty easy to get, from
plywood to sawn lumber to laminated product.

YI YANG, S.E.
ASSOCIATE | BRANCH MANAGER
___________________________
SUMMIT ENGINEERING, INC.
1500 3rd ST.  Ste F
NAPA, CA 94559
707.256.0708 EXT.202
www.summit-sr.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew Morris [mailto:dmorris(--nospam--at)bbfm.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:08 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Wood LEED

I have a project where the client wants the wood products to follow the
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) guidelines for the framing (2x studs,
and engineered I-joists and LVL).  This organization seems to mostly
deal with forests in Asia, Africa and Europe.  In North America, the
lumber companies are members of the Sustainable Forestry Initiative
(SFI).  When you are involved in LEED projects, do you call out either
of these organizations and their guidelines?

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org