RE: Masonry Question

Not sure about the CBC, but the IBC allows the 1/3 increase, as allowed by other codes, only when using the Alternate ASD load combos, see IBC 2006 Section 1605.3.2.

Jason

From: Salbador Dorado [mailto:sdorado(--nospam--at)tbengineeringinc.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2008 5:45 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Masonry Question

Is there an allowable 1/3 stress increase when designing Masonry Shear Walls using the ASD Method?  If so could you please point me to the section of the ACI530/ASCE 5/TMS 602 or the 2007 CBC  where I can find it.  I know that there is a 1/3 stress increase allowed mentioned in section 2.1.2.3 of ACI 530/ASCE 5/ TMS 602 when considering load combination c, d, or e (which contain wind or earthquake loads) of section 2.1.2.1 of the ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 602.  However, section 2107A.2 of the CBC requires that section 2.1.2.1 be deleted from the ACI 530/ASCE 5/TMS 602. Does the deletion of section 2.1.2.1 mean that the 1/3 allowable stress increase no longer applies? Or does it mean that the 1/3 increase is still permitted where the ASD Load Combination includes wind or earthquake loading.  Please provide me with some information on this matter.  Thank You.

Salvador Dorado

T & B Engineering, Inc.

4344 Latham St., Suite 100

Riverside, CA 92501-1773