RE: Roof Gardens Live load

Just to close the loop I started earlier, apparently the proponent of the two proposals I mentioned withdrew them. So the conflict between the LL table that specifies 100psf for "roof gardens" and the text that specifies 20psf for "landscaped roofs" will remain for the 2009 IBC. I guess that leaves us to call it a "roof garden" if it's accessible and a "landscaped roof" if it isn't and pick the load accordingly. (And hope the AHJ agrees!)

Gary

________________________________

From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Sun 2/17/2008 7:43 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Roof Gardens Live load

If you are talking about the live load rating for the roof simply because a garden is present, we've discussed that in the thread. I feel it's inappropriate for a non-accessible roof, but I don't have a quarrel if the roof is a gathering area. 100psf live loads are reducible, it's greater than 100psf and places of public assembly (which I would consider a garden roof that's accessible) that are not reducible for gravity or seismic loads.

-gm