off-topic-was- Wood LEED

Hi Christopher:

"Politics...to benefit the deserving"?  That is a very curious phrase.  Who
determines 'the deserving'?  Who decides if politic's provisions are
actually a 'benefit'.  Perhaps I am mis-understanding your meaning.

I see our Republic is an experiment in self-governance.  Politics is only to
protect the public.  Protecting the ones with no other way to protect
themselves.  Federally, protection from foreign invaders.  Locally,
protection from those who are more powerful, numerous, etc.

In last week's news there was a story about a State University which was
proposing to charge tuition based on student's family income.  Is this and
Christopher's remark very much based on the concept: 'from each according to
their abundance, to each according to their need' (I'm guessing I
slaughtered that quote.)  The author was Karl Marx.

Capitalism is harsh.  It is not what Christopher is describing.  Capitalism
provides the best way invented, to distribute scarce resources.  Politics
should provide a different method for getting out of the way of capitalism.

Engineering is also focused on protecting the public, not 'benefiting the
deserving'.

Let's not import self-serving mistakes from politicians into the Engineering
profession.

Respectfully,
Bob Freeman, AIA, EIT
IDS Group, Inc.