Re: Wood LEED

RE: LEED

I believe that to save resources and energy, that Code officials should take signiificant steps to make it much easier to allow reuse of wood members.
Now, much lumber from buildings which are be replaced, remodeled and/or added to, is going to the dump or to Mexico rather than be reused in the project. This is because most building departments do not allow use of used lumber (without testing)- even though it is in many cases superior in quality to new lumber. They have elaborate procedures to test used lumber for strength, which are so cumbersome that this is rarely used.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA
Click to learn Spanish with our accelerated program - results in days!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2111/fc/Ioyw6iigMUcexqGlSTK99tE68JZtj0ITrf1y45Jb3p17pZ6PPXVszx/