RE: Wood LEED

The early building codes and design codes were a little jumbled at first, too (ever see a 1956 ACI).  It's a good start, tho, I agree a little political.  PCA pulls a lot there.  Too little attention is payed to actual, long-term energy losses of a building, and too much to "green" one-time building products.

>>> On 3/15/2008 at 10:08 AM, "Scott Maxwell" <smaxwell(--nospam--at)umich.edu> wrote:
I am no expert in LEED, but my understanding is that it is somewhat "one
sided" and is considered by many to not be the best system in the world.
Some people find that it does not give credit for some things that it should
and that politics plays too much of a role in the process.  As a result, I
believe that there is at least one competing method that have come into
being, even if it is not as recognized as LEED.

Having said all that, I will be the first to admit that I am rather "stupid"
when it comes to the various "building green" or "sustainable building"
rating systems.  This is partly due to choice (while many will accuse me of
being liberal, I just cannot get too excited about the whole "building
green" bit...I am not sure how much of it is "real" vs. just for show...call
it the cynic in me) and partly just due to where my expertise lies (I have
more than enough just keeping up with pure structural stuff, thank you).  I
suppose I should be a good little boy and learn more about it all...after
all, I work in an industry that is supposely part of the whole sustainable
building world...SIPs...but I like being a structural engineering nerd (with
a side helping of computer nerd).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI