Emergency Opening from a concrete tunnel

Dear list:

I got this scenario; an underground tunnel equipped with an emergency exit using a ladder (18” w x 13’-6” high) to climb-up towards the ground surface level. My question is, How wide is the concrete opening I need to provide conforming it to the code (OSHA, MSHA…etc)?

I plan in using a 3’ x 2’-6” opening.

Thanks,

Engr. Julius Micayas

P.E. license no.32969

Project Manager/Sr lead Structural Engineer

River Consulting LLC

111 Veterans Memorial Boulevard

               Suite 1600

Metairie, Louisiana 70005

Phone - 504-841-3014 (direct)

504 837-5275 (office)

Fax - 504-837-2986

E-mail: jmicayas(--nospam--at)riverconsulting.com

W-page:            www.riverconsulting.com