Re: Structural Concrete subject to sub zero temp. conditions

Jerry & Daryl,

Thanks alot for responding to my mail, and for the offered info.

The foundation was cast and cured as per spec,(QC confirm the 28day strength),  after commissioning of the plant,  the Ice formation has started.  Actually It was hhardened concrete.  foundation foot print is about 1.5mX 0.8mX1.0mdeep, it supports a critical pump in LNG process plant. Hence the integrity of the foundation is big concern.  This fdn is subject to ice formation about 2 years ago, and was continuously under same condition, expect for plant down time.

I have following questions,
1.   As this is a hardened concrete, and due to smaller size, can I ignore the effect of freezing of entrapped moisture?
2.  we have to leave it same condition due to operational aspect,  how would i ensure the integrity of the foundation?

Any suggestion and references would be highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Lakshmana RK Nukala

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Jerry Coombs <JCoombs(--nospam--at)carollo.com> wrote:
When was it frozen?  Did the uncured fndn freeze and at what point?   How big (all directions) is the footing?  How critical is said footing?  You can't place fresh concrete on a surface below freezing temp.  Has to be thawed, warmed and thermally protected afterward.

>>> On 3/16/2008 at 1:24 PM, "Lakshmana Nukala" <lakshmana.nukala(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Dear All,

We are facing a situation, where the top 3 to 4 inch depth of top surface of a concrete foundation for pump is covered with ice formation.
Original design had never anticipated this situation, hence normal M35 grade concrete is used for this foundation.  Surface temp of the concrete fdn found to be above -20 Degree C,

Any input or reference to to handle this situation would be great help for me.

Best Regards
Lakshmana RK Nukala