1 Story Rod Braces in CBC2007

Anyone know if these are not allowed in SDC D and E?

From what I can see, OBF are allowed up to 35 ft and 60 ft if the roof is light enough for 1 story structures.

The AISC 341 and ASCE 7-05 refer to "Cable" bracing a few times. We need Steel Rods (architect is requiring this, I know it sucks structurally) and I also notice there is a Fy max of 55ksi for this system in AISC 341...we're hoping to use higher grade rods...

The only "tension only" reference I see is in the shaded box in section 14.1 of AISC 341. We're using X config, so I think we're still okay...

Any insights appreciated.

--
-gm