RE: Stainless Steel - answering my own question

Andrew

Here we have AS/NZS 4673:2001 : Cold-formed stainless steel structures

http://www.saiglobal.com/shop/Script/Details.asp?DocN=AS927293089551

I’ve never used it. It didn’t exist at the time I designed the only SS structure I’ve been involved with. And that started with a SS wire model presented by an artist. I designed based on steel structures code and from first principles using information from Australian Stainless Steel Development Association.

http://www.assda.asn.au/

The project involved canopies with transparent plastic roof covering, all shaped to look like ships sails and rigging (according to the artist). I only designed for strength: down here we have no mandatory requirements for serviceability. Fortunately the minimum wall thickness that the fabricator could bend was much thicker than my calculations suggested was needed.

Regards

Conrad Harrison

B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust

Adelaide