Re: Tekla Structures Training Centre at William Hare, Chennai, In

Murli, Tim,
The problem goes deeper.
The Construction Industry and Civil engineering is no longer fancied.
Steel Detailing, even less so. It's the hardest and most laborious part of our office related work in the construction industry and also notoriously thankless.

Most students who enroll in Civil engineering courses (degrees or diplomas) do so because they didn't have the marks in High School or the needed ranks in the competitive entrance examinations to get into Electronics/Computer Science/Information technology and other more fancied courses.

The salaries commanded by Fresh Civil engineers in India are a fraction of what is paid to the software guys. Who would want to study civil engineering these days? Even arts/science graduates working in call centers start off with better compensation.

The few who do enroll do so in the hope that they can change horses midstream either with money power(a king-sized donation to the trustees of the college will do the trick in some of these non-descript small town engineering colleges)  and the hope that some seats in other disciplines will fall vacant due to students leaving half way.

Many Civil engineering students drop out half way. The few who do complete the course are perhaps those whose fathers are contractors and who were possibly pressurized to do civil engineering to take over the family business. Some do it merely to get  an "engineering" degree (any engineering degree, for that matter). The dowries of grooms in some communities go up if you are an "engineer" , never mind what engineer. The girls don't ask.

The few engineers who do complete the course are in a hurry to do some software training and get into some software company. We call this back-door entry or side door entry into these fancied professions. Even a second class status here is financially more rewarding than a first class engineering job in a respectable construction/consulting/contracting company or in an established detailing office.

Others completing the course enroll in MBA courses hoping to become "Mangagers" right from the start. Why slog in a detailing office or at a constructin site, when you can straightaway start ordering around the seasoned veterans in these fields right from day one? Who would want to wear a helmet ? A tie looks more fashionable.

The academically bright Civil enigneering graduates go abroad (USA mostly) to get their masters degrees. They are then permanently lost to the detailing world or the construction Industry. No engineer with a Masters degree would ever want to dabble in detailing (except perhaps for some eccentrics like me) or brave the sun, heat dust noise and rain at construction sites. They want to do analysis and design only.  They are wizards with number crunching. They are not comfortable with drawings at all.

Detailing courses in universities and colleges will be very difficult to introduce under these circumstances. I am aware of some colleges which closed down even their civil engineering departments. What is the incentive to introduce a course  which is just one subject in Civil engineering?

I get my detailers raw from the colleges or from Construction sites, and let them learn on the job by attaching them to the seniors. I give them some initial orientaiton lectures and brush up the theory on steel members, connections , shear, bolts, welds etc.

They learn X steel on their own by trying out the tutorials, and take the help of their seniors if they get stuck. In my office, in six months, they are ready to become useful members of the detailing team, knowing the basics of detailing .They will also be able to do simple modeling, apply simple connections and edit and check the work of others.

In a year they become valuable hands  and can almost independently handle simple small jobs. In two years they become truly great assets. I don't slot them like in bigger detailing offices where some are made to do only modeling, some spend all the time only editing the models and some make only AB plans and E dwgs, and some do only estimates or scrubbing of the final dwgs. In my office each one does a bit of everything as far as practical. If they have no aptitude or ability for a perticular aspect of the work I keep them out of it and let them assist others. The cream automatically rises and they get to become project engineers/managers who control the other team members.

I do all the management, administration, correspondence and handle all the routine chores and shield them from all non productive work.

Then (or sometimes even before) comes the tragedy. They leave for greener pastures.
I start all over again, with a new bunch of pups.

I see no hope in the near future. It will take a few more years for a very serious shortage to be felt in the world of traditional engineering disciplines like Mechanical, Electrical and Civil engienering. The demand will be so huge that thier salaries will sky-rocket. That will get us new students eager to enroll in these traditional disciplines.

But that day is as yet distant and it will be  too late for me. I would have hung up my boots by then.
Just musing.
Regards
Vish