Re: seaint Digest for 18 Mar 2008

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>
> Subject: Re: Hand-held Calculator Recommended
> To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>
>> I need your recommendation for good hand-held calculator.
> I've used HP iron since the 70's, and they're the best made. Plenty

> I do most of my serious 'pencil and paper' calculations with Excel,
> but there's a boundary where I just need to have something for odds
> and ends--pythagorean theorem or composite section properties or a

> comes in handy at odd moments. And it fits in my shirt pocket--not
> even my Mac can do that yet.
>
> RPN i usually the deal-breaker for people who don't use HP machinery,
> but I think it's the greatest thing since premium rum if you need to
> do calculations with lots of intermediate results.

I had an HP 20S that wasn't RPN. Lost it last year. Probably left it on a
seat in an airport lounge. I miss the non-slip rubber feet and the feel of
the buttons. Most of the calculators I've seen are junk .. even the
replacement HP that I picked up at the local University store only had 3
memory registers. It's a good thing that HP is out of the calculator
business because they were going to blow their immense Good Will reserve,
otherwise.

I would have preferred to lose my aging (less than half as old) Titanium
laptop.

Regards
Paul
--