Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:52:29 -0500
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
From: amartine(--nospam--at)udep.edu.pe
Subject: Seismic load on retaining wall

Is there any method used to estimate the seismic load on a retaining wall that is restrained for lateral movement? This wall is buried and is restrained by a concrete slab on top and a mat foundation at the bottom. I assume that under this condition, active pressures cannot develop, hence the Mononobe-Okabe method cannot be used. Am I right?. This wall is also below phreatic surface.
I will appreciate your input.

Arturo
Piura, Peru

How well do you know your celebrity gossip? Talk celebrity smackdowns here.