IBC Eq 21-3

Dear list:

I think this is one of those incredibly simple questions that I am just making too complex.  I have been typically doing masonry design using the strength provisions.  I am looking at an existing building probably designed using the allowable stress provisions, so I am back checking the original design using allowable stress design and the current code procedures/limitations.  The IBC and ASCE 7 modify ACI 530-05 by adding a maximum tension reinforcing ratio in Eq. 21-3.  I do not see where any of the documents define the "n value" in Eq. 21-3.  Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Jared