RE: Wood LEED

Bill,

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier, I was out last week. Wrt your
question "Isn't the decision making process based in science?" here's
some info comparing LEED to Green Globes that may help answer that
question:

Green Globes and LEED - Do They Compare?

Architects and builders have many tools at their disposal to improve the
environmental performance of commercial buildings, including green
building rating and certification systems. Two such systems that are
being widely promoted in the United States are the LEED (Leadership in
Energy and Environmental Design) Green Building Rating System(r)
developed by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) and Green GlobesTM,
a web-based tool being advanced by the Green Building Institute (GBI).

A team of researchers at the University of Minnesota recently analyzed
and compared the two rating systems. The report by Tim Smith et al (Sep.
2006), "Green Building Systems: A Comparison of the LEED and Green
Globes Systems in the US," provides a detailed comparison of the how the
systems operate as well as their respective strengths and weaknesses.

According to the report:
* Both systems include rated design elements that contribute to the
environmental performance of buildings.
* Nearly 80% of the available points in Green Globes are addressed in
LEED 2.2 and over 85% of points specified in LEED 2.2 are addressed in
the Green Globes system.
* Point allocations in the two systems differ in their emphases. For
example, the point allocation in Green Globes gives a stronger emphasis
on energy use, while LEED allocates comparatively more points to
material selection.
* Green Globes and LEED performed similarly in the areas of indoor
environmental quality, resources, and site ecology.
* A case study reviewed in the report received more points for energy
under Green Globes' than it did under LEED, yet LEED gave the project
more points than Green Globes did for water conservation.
* A major aspect of material usage where the two programs diverge
relates to wood certified to sustainability standards. LEED excludes the
Sustainable Forestry Initiative(r) program and the American Tree Farm
System, where Green Globes specifically includes them. While the authors
note that this study makes no judgment on the sustainability aspects of
the forest certification systems, they report that the FSC certification
appears to be among the most costly of all LEED credits to achieve.
* According to the report, neither system adequately addresses life
cycle considerations, although Green Globes more closely reflects
life-cycle thinking, particularly with respect to building materials.

In reviewing Green Globes specifically, the report states:
"...the Green Globes system appears to be doing a fairly good job in
improving upon the delivery mechanisms employed by LEED which are so
often criticized. The on-line approach to assessment not only improves
efficiency and reduces costs, but also provides opportunities to
influence the design and planning processes of the project through
immediate feedback not available from a primarily paper-based system.
Second, Green Globes better integrates life-cycle thinking into its
rating system, specifically through sourcing of materials and the
durability and adaptability of the structure itself. This appears to be
a potential source of competitive advantage over LEED as both systems
seek to better include LCA methodologies into future versions - however,
it remains unclear whether the same LCA-based thinking will be applied
to the overall category and/or priority setting mechanisms of either
system. Finally, GBI being named as an accredited standards developer
under the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and the
consensus-based process associated with creating an official ANSI
standard for green building practices, will undoubtedly enhance Green
Globes presence in the marketplace."

To download the complete study, visit
http://labormanagementcommittee.org/newsdesk.html.

HTH