Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
Bent Gusset Plates on MN I-35W Bridge[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: Bent Gusset Plates on MN I-35W Bridge
- From: "Christopher Banbury" <cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net>
- Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:25:05 -0400
Does anyone with more experience care to comment on this photo? Is this a smoking gun or are we just looking at the results of initial self-limiting plastic deformation at the connection as the deck beams were loaded during construction? I don’t think I would find this alarming unless analysis and testing showed some evidence of fatigue by stress reversal under moving live loads. I suppose a settlement at an abutment could also cause this type of rotation at a truss joint. It is difficult to tell if the beam is loaded anywhere except at the joints.
Christopher Banbury, PE
Ark Engineering, Inc.
Phone: (352) 754-2424
Fax: (352) 754-2412
- Prev by Subject: Re: Bending Stress for Southern Pine #2, NDS Example 5
- Next by Subject: Re: Bent Gusset Plates on MN I-35W Bridge
- Previous by thread: Re: Place of Public Assembly
- Next by thread: Re: Bent Gusset Plates on MN I-35W Bridge