Subject: Bent Gusset Plates on MN I-35W Bridge
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:25:05 -0400
From: cbanbury(--nospam--at)arkengineering.net
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Does anyone with more experience care to comment on this photo? Is this a smoking gun or are we just looking at the results of initial self-limiting plastic deformation at the connection as the deck beams were loaded during construction? I don’t think I would find this alarming unless analysis and testing showed some evidence of fatigue by stress reversal under moving live loads. I suppose a settlement at an abutment could also cause this type of rotation at a truss joint. It is difficult to tell if the beam is loaded anywhere except at the joints.

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Mississippi-River-National-Transportation-Safety-Board/photo//080323/480/3c323cc238024a9b966898900280b9c4//s:/ap/20080323/ap_on_re_us/bridge_collapse_plates;_ylt=Au.9y.ThpLGxtpVVarFkZh1H2ocA

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

Ark Engineering, Inc.

PO Box 10129, Brooksville, FL 34603

22 North Broad ST, Brooksville, FL 34601

Phone: (352) 754-2424

Fax: (352) 754-2412

www.arkengineering.net

Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real difference. Learn more.