What is 2t plastic hinge gusset plate design?

We are detailing  a 600 ton  commercial 7 storyed building.
Columns are braced (normal X bracing) with Tubular sections (HSS 7x7x3/8, 6x6x1/4,  5x5x1/4, 3 1/2x3 1/2x1/4 typically)
No bracing forces are shown for us to detail the connections.
We asked if we could use half the tension capacity of the HSS members.

The engiener in his response has asked us to submit our proposals with calcs and he wil then decide.
He also writes
"connection of braces needs to show 2t plastic hinge gusset plate design"

What does this mean?
We normally  detail gussets using  3/8", 1/2",  5/8" or 3/4" thick plates depending on the forces unless the thickness is specified by the engineer.

Thanks in advance for any advice or oinions
Regards
Vish