RE: Book/reference on tower foundations

Jordan,

There is a publication titled "IEEE Trial-Use Guide for Transmission
Structure Foundation Design" that provides a fairly good background for
various tower foundations, including spread, piles and drilled shafts;
for various tower types (lattice towers, single shaft structures, framed
structures and externally guyed structures.

There is also some good discussion on loading (steady-state, transient,
construction, maintenance, etc.)including eccentric/cantilever effects.

The copy I have is from 1985, when the document was a "trial"
publication for the IEEE. It was published by the IEEE through
Wiley-Interscience in 1985. The ISBN is 0471-01075-8 and Library of
Congress Catalog Number is 85-80441.

It is a pretty good reference, and has been referred to in several
foundation texts, particularly those addressing drilled shafts.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tom

Thomas J. Cummings, PE
Manager - Bridge Design Practice
Gannett Fleming Engineers and Architects, P.C.
One Penn Plaza, Suite 2222
250 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10119 USA

P: (212) 967-9833 Ext. 5244