RE: Book/reference on tower foundations

No link to download at the tax dollar supported site!
Any alternative sites??

Suresh Acharya, S.E.

From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 9:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Book/reference on tower foundations

Very good paper for the slide rule / calculator crowd:

RESISTANCE TO OVERTURNING OF SINGLE, SHORT PILES

E. Czerniak,* A.M., ASCE, March 1957

This will give you the answer very quickly.  You can always back it up with COM 624 or L Pile.

Another good reference is the FHWA (your tax dollars have paid for it)

Handbook on Design Research, Development, and Technology of Piles and Drilled Shafts Under Lateral Load FHWA-IP-84-I 1, July 1984

Drilled Shafts (see the link below)

For more free geotech free stuff:

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/engineering/geotech/library_listing.cfm?sort=Publication_title

Regards,
Harold Sprague

> Subject: RE: Book/reference on tower foundations
> Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:38:20 -0400
> From: tcummings(--nospam--at)GFNET.com
> To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
>
> Jordan,
>
> There is a publication titled "IEEE Trial-Use Guide for Transmission
> Structure Foundation Design" that provides a fairly good background for
> various tower foundations, including spread, piles and drilled shafts;
> for various tower types (lattice towers, single shaft structures, framed
> structures and externally guyed structures.
>
> There is also some good discussion on loading (steady-state, transient,
> construction, maintenance, etc.)including eccentric/cantilever effects.
>
> The copy I have is from 1985, when the document was a "trial"
> publication for the IEEE. It was published by the IEEE through
> Wiley-Interscience in 1985. The ISBN is 0471-01075-8 and Library of
> Congress Catalog Number is 85-80441.
>
> It is a pretty good reference, and has been referred to in several
> foundation texts, particularly those addressing drilled shafts.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Tom
>
> Thomas J. Cummings, PE
> Manager - Bridge Design Practice
> Gannett Fleming Engineers and Architects, P.C.
> One Penn Plaza, Suite 2222
> 250 West 34th Street
> New York, NY 10119 USA
>
> P: (212) 967-9833 Ext. 5244
> F: (212) 268-6684

Windows Live Hotmail is giving away Zunes. Enter for your chance to win.