NYC building Code and AISC 13th edition

We are doing some structural steel connection design for a project in NYC and the EOR wants us to use the 9th edition AISC.  The reasoning he gives is this:

The New York city code does not recognize the 13th edition for ASD, all connection design needs to be done to AISC ASD 335-89s1 (i.e 9th edition)

I find this difficult to believe.  Can any of you tell me if this is true?

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Kenneth S. Peoples, P.E.

1584 Weaversville Road