Re: Exposure Categories: ASCE7, IBC

Christopher Banbury wrote:

Where can I find some discussion on the history of the changes to Exposure Category? It seems that each code edition rewrites the exposure categories.

I already have the paper that investigates the effect of fetch on Exposure D and I think I understand why Exposure A went away.

It looks like the ASCE7 definitions have stabilized in the last two editions however I’m not sure I understand why the IBC (and especially the FBC) appear to depart from ASCE7 so dramatically on Exposure B and C.

I don’t really have any specific questions at this point. I’m just stirring the pot to see if anyone has some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Christopher Banbury, PE

President

<http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?id=9131297&siteID=123112&CMP=ILC-GN9219645015>

Look in the Commentary to ASCE 7. It has an explanation of the exposure categories and how you can determine the category.