RE: Live load under mechanical and solar units at roofs

Actually, I didn’t know that was part of the code to begin with.  What section in the old code contains that provision?  Oh, and beer ALWAYS helps.

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

From: Marlou Rodriguez [mailto:mbrodrig(--nospam--at)mbrodriguez.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 4:25 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Live load under mechanical and solar units at roofs

In the old code, I was able to find a section that stated that we can ignore the roof live loads under mechanical units.  I was trying to find this in the new code, but I could not locate it.  Does anyone know if this is still true and where in the code is it stated.  Also, does anyone know if this applies to live loads under solar collectors.  It is a Friday and I am tired of looking at the code.  Maybe a glass of beer will help me.

Thanks.

Marlou B. Rodriguez, S.E.

MBRodriguez Engineering, Inc.

2355 Oakland Road, Suite 14

San Jose, CA 95131

Tel: 408-432-4866 x200

Cell: 408-761-5013

email: mbrodrig(--nospam--at)mbrodriguez.com

Visit our new website at www.taylorteter.com