Re: Live load under mechanical and solar units at roofs

Steve,

Good question.  I can't find them in Table 4-1 (ASCE7).  I used to live under a flat roof on which a bunch of 'coons played their nightly round of volleyball.  From the sound of it I'd say that 100 psf for gymnasium main floors would not be unduly conservative.  :)

Ralph

In a message dated 3/28/08 5:15:40 PM, sgordin(--nospam--at)sgeconsulting.com writes:

Ralph,
What do you usually assume for the rat load in the Bay area?
Steve Gordin

----- Original Message -----
From: Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: nancy(--nospam--at)tmesf.com ; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 16:50
Subject: Re: Live load under mechanical and solar units at roofs

In a message dated 3/28/08 4:37:09 PM, nancy(--nospam--at)tmesf.com writes:

I think you should include roof live load in conjunction with solar panels due to ponding which may occur on flat roofs with or without solar panels.

That makes sense for flat roofs with elevated collectors, but how about well-sloped roofs with the panels lying low on them, making it impossible for anyone larger than a roof rat to get underneath?

Ralph