Re: Mechanical Engineer wants me to stamp his M sheets

In the past, I have had the client delineate my details on his sheet (boxed off) and I sealed the specific detail(s) I sketched for their drafter to complete. Being in CA it's a bit different; in VA there are no SEs or CEs - everyone is a PE so it is less obvious when I might be sealing "out of discipline."

I don't see much of a problem if you seal the sheet and indicate on/under/around the seal that it is for structural connection details only. I'm not sure what the law states about such limitations on a seal, but it passes the smell test in my book, and I would certainly hope an expert chosen from my peers would agree with the clear meaning of my intent.
Jordan

Gaines, David wrote:
Diane,

Dig your heels in. You don't want to stamp any MEP drawings. They may need to hire you to create a structural sheet with those details on them. They could do the drafting work and create an "S" sheet for you to sign with just the anchorage details.

Dave Gaines, P.E.

Structural Project Engineer
HDR ONE COMPANY | Many Solutions
251 S. Lake Ave, Suite 1000
Pasadena, CA 91101
T: 626.584.4960
F: 626.584.1750
email: david.gaines(--nospam--at)hdrinc.com