Re: House Leveling

These are lifting/ raising/ moving methods.  levelling is basically in-place.  Long beams take more prep work and bigger jacks.

>>> On 4/1/2008 at 2:08 PM, "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
The way I've seen it done is for a contractor to slip wide flange beams to the underside of the lower floor framing inserted from each end at some regular spacing along the longitudinal side of the house (WF span the short direction of the house). Then they either provide interior supports for jacks (if they can get in there) or create a moment splice in the beams they insert from either end and jack only from outside the building. These are for houses with crawlspaces or basements.

Then when they have it up high enough, they place more temporary supports inside using cribbing and allow work to take place. Usually this is done when someone is adding a full basement, but maybe not if it's just a leveling job.

Sometimes, they will also create a rail system, where they lift the house then slide the house off it's footprint to allow work to begin or to move the house elsewhere.

-gm