Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: House Leveling

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
These are lifting/ raising/ moving methods.  levelling is basically in-place.  Long beams take more prep work and bigger jacks.

>>> On 4/1/2008 at 2:08 PM, "Gerard Madden, SE" <gmse4603(--nospam--at)> wrote:
The way I've seen it done is for a contractor to slip wide flange beams to the underside of the lower floor framing inserted from each end at some regular spacing along the longitudinal side of the house (WF span the short direction of the house). Then they either provide interior supports for jacks (if they can get in there) or create a moment splice in the beams they insert from either end and jack only from outside the building. These are for houses with crawlspaces or basements.

Then when they have it up high enough, they place more temporary supports inside using cribbing and allow work to take place. Usually this is done when someone is adding a full basement, but maybe not if it's just a leveling job.

Sometimes, they will also create a rail system, where they lift the house then slide the house off it's footprint to allow work to begin or to move the house elsewhere.


On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Gaines, David <David.Gaines(--nospam--at)> wrote:
As a highly qualified, well educated professional engineer you probably should not recommend means and methods of construction. I know a contractor or two who may be qualified to do the job, but I wouldn't stick my neck out to tell them how it's done.
If you do find out how this is done and what to recommend, I'd be interested in hearing it. I need to level the floors in my old Craftsman home too.
Dave Gaines
Dave Gaines, P.E.

Structural Project Engineer
HDR ONE COMPANY | Many Solutions
251 S. Lake Ave, Suite 1000
Pasadena, CA 91101
T: 626.584.4960
F: 626.584.1750
email: david.gaines(--nospam--at)


From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)]
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:39 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)
Subject: Re: House Leveling

Jerry Coombs wrote:
Yes.  A lot a variables.  What sort of piers in what type of soil.  In stable circumstances it can be as simple as shims, but some types of houses need more "gentle" treatment.  One needs to know exacty *why* it's unlevel first. 
I'm specifically interested in the "means and methods" typically used in the "jacking" process, rather than the finished product.

For instance, how do they set up to make sure you're not shifting the load onto the floor or some other part of the structure unduly? I've seen a very messy example of this and need to figure out what SHOULD have been done in that particular case.
******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* *** * Read list FAQ at: * * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * * * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********