RE: Steel slides for quick reference

Looking through old books it is amazing how many design curves, nomographs,
along with mechanical wheels and special slide rules were used to speed up
calculation. It is also strange that basically, experiments are performed,
and design curves are plotted through the data, and then the curve is
transformed into a mathematical expression which is published in the codes.
Then everyone wastes time conducting calculations to regenerate the
experimental curve, or worst conducting point calculations and oblivious to
the nature of the design curve.

Seems a great deal of efficient and less error prone technologies have been
discarded in an attempt to elevate the status of engineers, by showing their
prowess with mathematics, followed by increasing desire to put formulae into
a computer.

Which is all very well: but what is the point of a model if it cannot be
held in the human mind, understood and comprehended by humans, and evaluated
by humans, in real time.

If Vish is using Tekla XSteel why would he need some other tool to get the
dimensions and properties of steel sections?

Using such modelling tools is like a carpenter cutting everything to fit on
site. Everything eventually fits together, but the builder of the model,
doesn't understand why things are the way they are. Consequently cannot
rationalise fabrication and construction to achieve greater economy and
productivity. And relying on the part libraries being correct is not
altogether sensible: they need checking//auditing occasionally against a
controlled data source.

The real design is still happening outside the computer models. What the
human mind knows is way faster than leaving it to a computer to workout.

So the AISC database can provide the dimensions when at a computer. But not
much help on site, when trying to figure out what has gone wrong. The wheel
a calculator, and an experienced mind, would be far more efficient.

Unfortunately computers are seen as being far more useful than they actually
are. With published handbooks decreasing in content, and useful mechanical
calculators and lookup tables disappearing from the scene.

Hopefully the wheel Vish is looking for is still around.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide