Water Heater Bracing Guidelines

I'm in a quick (I hope) battle with a contractor that braced an 80 gallon water heater his way versus what was on the plans.  He says it's okay since the strap he used (Hubbard Quick Strap) is State of California State Architect Acceptable method No. 97-010.

Can anyone point me to that document?  I don't think he installed the strapping correctly and I need to check his word (and no, he is not forthcoming with additional documentation).

Is there more up to date guidelines around?  I've found the Aug. 2004 DSA "Guidelines for Earthquake Bracing of Residential Water Heaters" and he doesn't meet that guideline.

Appreciate the help!!
Paul.
Phoenix