Re: Water Heater Bracing Guidelines

The information is useful but there are no sketches on how the straps are supposed to be installed.  It appears that the current method is to encircle the tank one full wrap and secure to wall with two straps per location.  This addresses the seismic force parallel to the wall.

The contractor did not wrap the tank and connected straight back to the wall.  The straps come off the wall at 90 degrees.  Makes the parallel to the wall forces very difficult to resist without good friction between the tank and wall and some preload on the straps.

I *think* the guidance from 1997 has been superseded or at least the straps have to be splayed out to help resist the parallel load to the wall.  The contractor is relying on a 1997 approval that doesn't calc out in the configuration he installed the strapping system.  Current guidelines call for the strap to be splayed out from the tank at least 6".

Paul.