Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 09:36:23 -0700
From: enginerd666(--nospam--at)yahoo.com
Subject: Concentrated Loads on Plywood Floors...
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Listerineros,

I am in need of some recommendations or references for determining the structural adequacy of concentrated loads on plywood floors.

I have a condition where my client wishes to locate several large security storage cabinets (they weigh upwards of 600 pounds empty) on the floor of a modular trailer.  The cabinets are supported on 4 lovely, miniature feet - perhaps measuring one inch square on a extremely hot day.  Additionally, I don't have a good sense from the client on how much the contents could weight - perhaps 300 to 400 pounds based on my discussions with the group managing the cabinet contents.

So, I have concerns with the local effects on the plywood and the overall span, especially while maintaining the same 50 psf live load rating.

To make things more fun, strengthening below the floor is not an option.  It's either green light or red light in this case.

I'll let Conrad know in advance that I think I've seen such limitations in both the Australian and New Zealand codes, but have not had as much luck using my available APA references and Google for U.S. codes.  When are we northern hemispherians going to learn?  Also, I'd greatly appreciate Conrad's recommendations on good, small wineries from the Aidelade area just as much as I appreciate his engineering recommendations and thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

-Ben Maxwell

Benjamin H. Maxwell, S.E.