RE: ASCE7-05 240 ft ordinary braced frames in seismic design category D?

Gerard:

They had the same note in the ASCE7-02 and IBC 2000 that allowed single story
ordinary braced frames to be 60 feet with the 20 psf roof, but there was an
exception for "braced frames" to be 240 when not more than 60% of the story
shear was on a grid and not more than 20% of the force in a brace was from
torsion.

Ordinary braced frames by ASCE7-02, IBC 2000, and IBC 2003 could be 240 feet
tall in seismic design category D if there was not a torsional irregularity
and if your grids had an even distribution of the story shear.  It appears
maybe they don't want to allow two story ordinary braced frames in seismic
design category D to be taller than 35 feet in the ASCE7-05 anymore, but you
can't tell exactly because of the poorly written wording - maybe there is an
errata since the printing I have.

I am wondering if there is a typo in the ASCE7-05 and whether the code
committee really wants to hose people into using special concentrically
braced frames for a shoe box - two or three story building that is a bit
taller than 35 feet. I think 35 feet is too short for an ordinary braced
frame building with a bunch of braced grids for a two, three or four story
building.

Scott.