RE: Concentrated Loads on Plywood Floors...

Listers,

Thanks to all who pitched in regarding my plywood floor issue.  I've determined that I would probably be okay in the short term, but that deflection and sag serviceability would be a concern.  Unfortunately for me, the layout does not lend itself to laying out an additional plywood layer above the floor due to exiting requirements and tripping hazard.

Conrad, I hadn't heard about the Wirra Wirra winery fermentatoin and holding tank collapse, but I saw on AdelaideNow that two workers were injured - not to mention the travesty of losing all that good wine.  Do you guys have the need for a structural engineer to tour all of the wineries in the Barossa Valley to check for fatigue issues and other structural deficiencies?  I'd be happy to volunteer.  Besides being a life-safety issue, losing wine is a major life-quality concern.  You Australians need to learn how to maintain your infrastructure.  You should just follow the American example with respect to our highway bridges. Ha!!!!!!

Wine collapse

Conrad Harrison <sch.tectonic(--nospam--at)bigpond.com> wrote:
Ben

Here most manufacturers catalogues have load tables for the plywood. But what they call a concentrated load is actually a linear load across the width of the beam like panel being tested. In the past not been able to get any information to check suitability for real point loads from legs castors and wheels.

So for fixed cabinets tend to place a batten/spreader under the legs to transfer the load back onto the floor joists. For castors recommend not to use unless the owners already have experience with an existing floor: the plywood can creep and sag between the joists if keep rolling heavy loads over it.

Have to get back to you on the wineries: Clare and the Barossa valley are the main regions.

By the way did news of the collapse of the fermenting and holding tanks, and support stand at the Wirra Wirra winery make it to the USA.
Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide