Re: Existing Beam: Repair or O.K.?

Bill

I like Chris's response. Explain to the owner/client your concerns and now professional responsibility now your are exposed to the problem.  Your obligation to protect life & safety of the people who use the building, even if the client does not want to do anything. At least you have the city now asking for a recommendation.
Next I would begin a T & M contract to evaluate and make corrections if required. It is no fun when are almost done with a project and it starts up all over again.  Especially if you don't have the time because of other obligations. There is a field inspector that I believe Alan is his name he works for West Coast Testing agency and is located in Orange County. I will email his info when I get to office tomorrow. I am assuming that is solid wood not Glu-lam. Sounds like shear is the big issue here.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.