From: Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl [mailto:astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu]
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 7:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Existing Beam: Repair or O.K.?

Dear Mr. Allen:  Of your three options below, I think the third option might
be the way to go which to repair the damaged beam. However, we may need to
find out first what caused this crack in the beam? Without knowing the cause
of damage, the repaired beam can also be cracked for the same reason the
original beam cracked. Option one "to do nothing" does not seem to me an
option at all. Pretty much you have two options either repair the damaged
beam and if that cannot be done in a reliable and economical way, then the
beam has to be replaced.
Hope my 2-cents is helpful.
A. Astaneh-Asl, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor and Consultant on
Structural Engineering, Earthquake Engineering and Protection of
Buildings and Bridges against Blast and Impact