Re: Existing Beam: Repair or O.K.?

 >The beam is huge. It's 18-3/4"x701/4". It spans about 12-1/2 feet and supports two floors and a
roof.

Is that 7.1/4" wide x 18.3/4" Deep or 18.3/4" Wide x 70.1/4" Deep?
Is it solid sawn timber?
If it is not a check, maybe a steel channel each side bolted through would replace the wood beam.
If the crack is toward the support ends of the beam, or at a point load, I would assume it was a shear failure and size the channels (or even just flat plates) and their connections for shear transfer.
If there is a deflection problem, I would assume the beam is also in bending failure and size the channels accordingly (probably not because the span is relatively short).

Macie, P.E.

It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms and advice on AOL Money & Finance.