PIPE ON A SKID

QUESTION WAS ASKED:

I am looking at (the overturning only, per the clients request) an
industrial stack that will be constructed of basically 24=94 dia. =BC=94 =
thick
pipe.  The stack is about 25=92 tall and will be supported on a steel =
skid.
ASCE 7-05 has an equation 15.4-5 for a Rigid Nonbuilding Structure which
must have a =93T=94 less than .06s.  If not, the way I read things is =
that if it
is not rigid then V is calculated from 12.8-1 using Cs from 15.4.1 (2).  =
If
all of this is correct, I guess that I could assume a rigid structure =
(since
V will be larger using 15.4-5 and wind will probably govern overturning
anyway) or calculate the period and see if it isn=92t rigid and use the =
other
equations that I have listed.  I don=92t really have a problem assuming =
rigid structure and using the larger V, but I would like to see what =
happens
if it isn=92t.  Now to my other question.  How can I calculate the =
period of a
non-building structure such as this.  Basically a vertical pipe on a =
steel
skid.  In all my references, I can=92t find an example.  Can anyone out =
there
help me out?

=20

Thanks,

Joe Grill

REPLY:

If you tell me what that skid looks like, I can make a suggestion or two.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz