RE: AISC minimum number of bolts

Here we have a 40kN minimum which gives 2 x M16 PC8.8 bolts with threads in
the shear plane. For cold-formed steel no such limit given, but the code is
supposed to supplement the hot rolled, so for design attempt to keep to the
guideline. For existing generally assess for the calculated forces and
ignore the recommended minima.

Why have a minimum for hotrolled steel but not for cold-formed steel,
timber, or aluminium? Possibly something to do with the minimum force being
greater than the capacity of the members, and inappropriate for small light
weight framing.

Most textbooks and design manuals recommend minimum of 2 bolts. Some concept
of redundancy, but no recommendation to design a single bolt to take all the
load. The load is distributed between the two bolts: that is use two smaller
bolts rather than one large bolt. If one bolt fails then it can potentially
take half the load: which may be adequate for the self weight and dead load.

Regards
Conrad Harrison
B.Tech (mfg & mech), MIIE, gradTIEAust
Adelaide