Re: Weak Rivets...etc.

He's talking about the partial collapse of one of the existing approach spans due to Loma Prieta, not the new bridge.

I'm sort of sad to have seen the tone in a few of the response e-mails to Dr. Astaneh's post.  While I may not agree with all his points or sentiments in the original e-mail, I really do appreciate his participation and encouragement on this list to expand the subject matter beyond basic clarification inquiries or requests for help.  Where else can you get a discussion amongst so many engineers in a related field?

Conrad, I'll have to read your e-mail in chapters, but thanks for the free book.
-Ben

jatech(--nospam--at)telus.net wrote:
Quoting Abolhassan Astaneh-Asl :

since
> 1989 when I started my work on the San Francisco Oakland Bay Bridge , which
> by the way in my view is the best example of the worst structural engineering
> and disregard to public safety .

Do you not consider it relevant to inform the list that your design for the
bridge did not win the competition.

Regards,
Dave

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp